Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Chicken Stock

In jars........ Yep I will admit this is a new one for me. I normally freeze it but there just isn't room atm. I don't really follow a recipe for the stock I had four young roosters that needed the chop. So that's what I used but you can use the carcases from a roast chicken. I added a heap of pickling onions as that's what I had from the garden and some crazy looking carrots again from the garden. You can also add celery if you have any. Cover with water then bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 4-5 hrs I find the longer the better as you get a more intense flavour.
Let cool and skim of any fat on top then drain through a colander. Using cheese cloth is good for when you drain as you get a clearer stock. Then pressure can. Any food to be put in jars that has meat in it needs to be pressure canned. I followed the instructions which came with my pressure canner and it involved canning for 20 min. The result was 15 jars of stock and leftovers was used to make a soup, all the meat was shredded some for future meals and also for the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment